Our Family History - Person Sheet
Our Family History - Person Sheet
NameElsie Barr 529
Birth1887, Australia, VIC, Melbourne, Brighton
Death1971, Australia, VIC, Melbourne
MemoGLEN (Glenwaverly?
Birth18 Dec 1889, Australia, VIC, Whittlesea
Death12 Nov 1948, Australia, QLD, Laura
FatherNorman McPhee (1844-1908)
MotherCatherine (Kate) Morrison (1861-1951)
Marriage1912, Australia, VIC
Notes for Elsie Barr
Elsie’s parents are Arthur William Barr and Margaret Holdsworth
Notes for Archibald Norman (Archi) (Spouse 1)
They had two children, Vi Margaret McPhee, d. 1915 in Brunswick East, VIC. and Lorner Marjorie McPhee, b. 1913 in Preston, VIC. Died 1989.

407Archie was a foreman on the construction of the Silvan reservoir, a family story is the he sold his brothers horses, and left his wife and daughter and went to North Queensland, he became a well known contractor and fencer on the remote stations, he sometimes returned home for Christmas.

He always had a small jar of gold dust and hoped to strike it rich, and he also kept a bottle of rum behind our kitchen door, at Whittlesea.

He died a tragic death when his Blitz truck that Lorna had bought for him broke down he tried to walk to the nearest station, he ran out of water and died on the road, he was buried on the side of the road by the police, Lorna had a fence erected around the grave, but it has been burnt in fires, and the site, now in the Lakefield National Park cannot be located.

His body was located by the searchers on the 18th of November 1948, though it was estimated that he had perished on Saturday the 12th.

Here is an article that appeared in the Canberra Times, Friday 19th Nov, 1948.
Man Succumbs To Thirst
BRISBANE, Thursday.
A 20-mile walk in search of water, after his truck had broken down, ended with the death of Archibald Norman McPree (sic), fencing contractor, near Coen. His cattle dog, which made a further 40 miles, is still alive.
McPhee's body was found alongside the Coen-Laura Road near Sandy Creek, to-day. McPhee, aged about 61, had been missing since November 10 when he left Violet Vale Station. He abandoned his truck when it broke down. Police, who found his body, believe he wandered for three days in temperatures of more than 100-degrees. An empty bottle, which had contained water, was found near his body. The police think he drained water from the truck into the bottle and shared it with his dog.
Last Modified 13 Oct 2019Created 16 Jan 2021 by Peder Kristensen
Updated 16 Jan 2021

© Peder Kristensen 2003 - 2021
All Rights Reserved.
In addition to fair dealing as permitted by the copyright law of your country, text and images on the pages of this website are communicated to the public for viewing only. Any commercial use is strictly prohibited. To copy and use them in any way, permission must first be obtained by sending a request using the ‘Contact’ form on this site.